Exploration and Production group onshore activities started in the year 1993 and offshore activities started in 2006.
Activities of Exploration & Production (E&P) Group
Petroleum & Natural Gas (Safety in Offshore Operations) Rules, 2008 were notified by Govt. of India in June, 2008 for regulation of safety in offshore exploration, production & drilling activities and matters connected therewith.
OISD has been designated as competent authority to exercise powers and functions as stipulated in Petroleum & Natural Gas (Safety in Offshore Operations) Rules, in June 2008.
As competent authority, OISD carries out supervision of safety of offshore installations by means of consents, investigations, verifications and safety audits.
Providing clarifications on the rules, and advising operators to formulate policies on critical issues is an ongoing process. Guidance notes for schedules of the Rules have been prepared and provided to operators.
Oil Mines Regulations, 1984 (Specific to E&P Industry) framed under provisions of The Mines Act, 1952, have been revised in August 2017. These Rules are enforced by the Directorate General of Mines Safety (DGMS) under the Ministry of Labour and Employment. Under the provisions of the Oil Mines Regulations, 2017, duly notified by Government of India through a Gazette notification dated 18th August, 2017; 16 Numbers of OISD standards have been included.
External Safety Audit
OISD undertakes External Safety Audit of E & P operations (onshore/offshore) of all upstream companies (PSU Companies and JVs/Pvt. operators working under PSC contract) to assess the efficacy of the safety management system. Methodology comprises of review of documents and interaction with the concerned personnel besides physical tour of the installations (Production installation/Drilling rig/Workover rig).
OISD started conducting ESA in November 1994 for upstream industry. Presently there are about 530 installations (475 onshore and +55 offshore platforms & rigs) and about 238 unmanned platforms for which ESA’s are being planned on rotation basis as per periodicity principles.
Status of implementation of ESA recommendations / observations is periodically reviewed in Steering Committee and Safety Council Meetings.
E&P companies report all incidents to OISD. All major and fatal incidents are required to be informed to OISD within 24 hours of occurrence. Based on the severity and break down of system OISD carry out investigations of major incidents.
Incident reports are reviewed & analysed. Recommendations are shared with industry to avoid recurrence of similar incidents. Safety alerts are also being issued periodically.
Standards/Guidelines/Recommended code of practices
The following 33 standards pertain directly to E&P Operations:
|Sl No ||Standard Code ||Description|
|1||OISD-STD-105 ||Work Permit System.|
|2||OISD-STD-118 ||Layouts for Oil and Gas Installations.|
|3||OISD-STD-129 ||Inspection of Storage Tanks.|
|4||OISD-RP-174 ||Well Control.|
|5||OISD-RP-175 ||Cementing Operations.|
|6||OISD-STD-176 ||Safety Health & Environment Training For Exploration & Production (Upstream) Personnel.|
|7||OISD-STD-181 ||Geophysical Operations.|
|8||OISD-GDN-182 ||Safe Practices for Workover & well Stimulation Operations.|
|9||OISD-STD-183 ||Standard on Logging Operations.|
|10||OISD-STD-184 ||Standard On Replacement Of Personal Protective Equipment And Lifesaving Appliances.|
|11||OISD-STD-185 ||Wire Line Operations.|
|12||OISD-GDN-186 ||Simultaneous Operations in Exploration & Production industry.|
|13||OISD-STD-187 ||Care And Use Of Wire Rope.|
|14||OISD-STD-188 ||Corrosion Monitoring Of Offshore & Onshore Pipelines.|
|15||OISD-STD-189 ||Standard On Fire Fighting Equipment For Drilling Rigs, Work Over Rigs And Production Installations.|
|16||OISD-STD-190 ||Derrick Floor Operations (Onshore Drilling / Workover Rigs).|
|17||OISD-STD-191 ||Oil Field Explosive Safety.|
|18||OISD-GDN-193 ||Guidelines for Gas Lift Operations and Maintenance.|
|19||OISD-RP-201||Environment Management in Exploration & Production Sector.|
|20||OISD-GDN-202||Inspection of Drilling and Workover Rig Mast / Sub-Structure.|
|21||OISD-GDN-203 ||Operation, Maintenance & Inspection Of Hoisting Equipment.|
|22||OISD-GDN-204 ||Medical Requirements, Emergency Evacuation And Facilities (ForUpstream).|
|23||OISD-RP-205 ||Crane Operation, Maintenance and Testing (For upstream).|
|24||OISD-STD-216 ||Electrical Safety In Onshore Drilling And Workover Rigs.|
|25||OISD-GDN-218 ||Guidelines For Safe Rig- Up And Rig- Down Of Drilling And Work Over Rigs.|
|26||OISD-GDN-219 ||Guidelines on Field Inspection, Handling and Testing of Casing Pipe & Tubing.|
|27||OISD-GDN-227 ||Emergency Response and Preparedness in E&P Industry.|
|28||OISD-STD-231 ||Sucker Rod Pumping Units.|
|29||OISD-GDN-232 ||Identification of hazards and control measures in E&P Industry.|
|30||OISD-GDN-233 ||Guidelines on inspection of on land non-piggable pipeline.|
|31||OISD-STD-234 ||Electrical Safety in Onshore Production Installations in E&P Sector.|
|32||OISD-RP-238 ||Well Integrity.|
|33||OISD-GDN-239 ||Guidelines on Annular Casing Pressure Management For Onshore Wells.|
Dissipation of knowledge.
- Managing risk in E&P is more challenging than in other industries. Risk management is the culmination of wealth of technical knowledge & vision of the organization. Knowledge stimulates the control of risk during heterogenic environmental operations in exploring Oil & Gas. Workshop on Emerging Risks in Oil Field Industry - Lessons learnt from past accidents was held at OISD on 27th and 28th December 2016 with an aim to focus on regulations & risks associated throughout life cycle of the project. Speakers from BGEPIL, ONGC, CAIRN, IDT, OISD, OIL, DUPONT & DWDSPL presented technical papers on all the facets of risk management. Feedback from the participants has been positive with an average rating of 90.2% with a suggestion that more youngsters to participate.
- Workshop on 'Well Integrity' was organized by OISD on 25th and 26th November 2013. Speakers from ONGC, OIL, RIL, BGEPIL, CAIRN and Transocean presented technical papers on all the facets of 'Well Integrity'. Three expatriate speakers presented papers on 'Well integrity system', 'Sustained casing Pressure Management' and 'API Standard 53'. Feedback from the participants has been very positive with 90% participants rating the workshop as excellent.
- Under the MOU between OISD and Bureau of Safety and Environment Enforcement (BSEE), Department of Interior, USA, a team of experts from BSEE, and OISD discussed from 18th to 20th January 2012 on structures uprightness in offshore installations and technical variations in regulatory requirements and areas for future cooperation.
- Interactive Workshop on Safety Critical Issues in Onland E&P Operations was organized on 23rd September, 2011 for E&P Pvt. / JV operators. Issues emerged during the external safety audits by OISD (well control training and rig equipment verification;health assessment of equipment in production installations; managing contractors operations through bridging document; risk assessment study; and work permit system) were deliberated in the workshop.
- Workshop on 'Asset integrity in E&P Sector' was organized by OISD on 24-25th February, 2011. Focus was on asset integrity management challenges, and tools used by companies with case studies. Experts from the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation & Enforcement (BOEMRE), USA participated and provided the prevailing international practices.
- Workshop on "Offshore Safety" was conducted by OISD on 25th and 26th February, 2010 in association with Minerals Management Service (MMS), Department of the Interior, USA. The workshop focused on bringing out critical safety issues and MMS provided the prevailing international practices and in particular to the Gulf of Mexico, USA."
- Seven OISD officers visited MMS, USA in February, 2009 for ability building, knowledge sharing and developing regulatory setup for offshore safety.
- "Risk Based Safety Management" workshop was organized for the industry in December, 2008.
New / Revision code of practices
- OISD-GDN-182 : Safe practices for work over and well stimulation Operations.
- OISD-RP-205 : Crane operations, Maintenance and testing(for upstream)
- OISD-RP-242 : Recommended practices for Drilling and Testing of HPHT wells
- OISD-RP-243 : Recommended practices on CBM operations.